I joined the Network of Spiritual Progressives last year because the group closely reflects my own views on what it will take to build communities, countries, and a world based on peaceful human interaction. Each time I read the emailed newsletters or the print magazine, Tikkun, a spirit of hope is renewed in me. Below is a one-page summary of our Spiritual Covenant with America. You can read the full covenant HERE.
1. We will create a society that promotes rather than undermines loving and caring relationships and families.
2. We will take personal responsibility for ethical behavior.
3. We will build social responsibility into the normal operations of our economic and political life.
4. We will reshape our education system so that it teaches values of love, caring, generosity, intellectual curiosity, tolerance, nonviolence, gratitude, wonder, democratic participation, and environmental responsibility.
5. We will seek a transformation of our entire health care system not only providing free universal health care in our own country and around the world, but also creating a system that addresses the spiritual, psychological, and physical dimensions of human beings and the impact of social and environmental influences on their well-being.
6. We will be stewards of the environment and reshape the global economy in sustainable ways.
7. We will address our desire for “homeland security” through a strategy of nonviolence, generosity, genuine caring, and respect for the well-being of others.
8. We support a strong separation of church, state, and science.
9. We will rebuild our economy to provide economic security, fundamental equality, and meaningful work that contribute to some higher good beyond maximizing money or power.
10. We seek to protect individuals from coercive powers of the government and the marketplace, while affirming our interdependence.